The story " That Only a Mother" is definitely and interesting one. The entire story is told from the mothers point of view and although she is a little frantic and paranoid we can't help but think that it might just be the nerves of an expecting mother. We build sympathy for her because her husband is at war and she seems to have a hard time with rude nurses at the hospital and her own mother is giving her a hard time about the possibility that her baby might have a mutation due to the radiation from the war. When the baby is finally born we get the firs hint that something is off when she starts to develop really rapid. She is able to able to have full conversations when not even a year old. I couldn't tell at first whether or not this was the mothers delusion or if it was really happening. The ending really gave me an unsettling feeling because all signs point to the fact that the father killed the child when he saw that she had no limbs at that his wife was in denial that her daughter had a mutation. I liked this story because it gave an alternate twist on a real life event so it almost makes it like it could have been real life if things had gone differently in history.
I was not a fan of the story " We See Things Differently". It did have a good plot twist at the end but the whole story through out was not pleasurable for me to read. I don't know if it was because I was too tired when I read it but it was kind of hard to follow. One thing I did like about it though was that Americas new hero was a rock star type figure. I think it pinpoints Americans tendency to idolize pop culture icons more than our political figures. This man Tom Boston is the new hero of the American people and is trying to raise the spirits of the country after America fell in power. Charlie is a journalist from the middle east and is trying to get an interview with Tom Boston for his magazine. At the end of the story we find out that Charlie is a martyr and poisons Tom Boston and himself with cocaine that causes cancer. This is similar to Americas Presidents being assassinated over time because certain groups would like to see America be a strong leader in the world.
The only a mother, is to me based on actual happenings, it happens all the time, mothers dont see the "deformities" of their children, the only see the perfect baby they wanted, its the perfect thing about being a mother. As for the other short, I couldn't get into it, kept making me fall asleep.
ReplyDelete